- Fastest growing retailer in the Russian hypermarket sector where both modern retailing and hypermarket penetration are very low
- Range significantly enhanced over the previous year but still some way to go versus competitors who have broader offers
- Commercial and retail operations poles apart with stores making decisions on ranging based on personal opinion and gut feel
- Own brand positioning misunderstood, underdeveloped and sales participation low.
- Buyers driven by profit margins and the process of range construction is inconsistent from category to category with product ranges exhibiting many gaps and product duplications.
- Western standard category review process & action plans developed to drive a more attractive offer at competitive prices
- Choice, quality, price and on-shelf product availability positioned at the head of a structured approach focusing on customer needs
- Suite of management reports developed to enable decisions to be made based on fact
- Category teams reviewed and improved ranges using processes including category purpose, customer clusters, customer shopping basket profiles, customer decision trees & through competitor benchmarking
- The look and feel of the merchandising was overhauled with a new horizontal & blocked layout to make it easier for customers to shop, simpler & cheaper for staff to replenish
- Margin continues to grow each year
- Like for like growth maintained in double digits
- Stock holding reduced as % of sales
- Cross functional teamwork approach to fight the competition